Pillsbury Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Pillsbury Library from 1896 to 1988. The bulk of materials address the construction and disposition of the building.
- 1896 - 1988
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Pillsbury Library opened at 100 University Ave. SE in 1904. Envisioned by Governor John Sargent Pillsbury and donated to the city by his heirs, the library replaced a storefront East Side Library that had been in operation since 1891. Architect Charles R. Aldrich designed the Pillsbury branch in a Beaux Arts style.
In 1961, a new Minneapolis Central Library across the Mississippi River, not far from the Pillsbury Library. Due to this proximity, the Minneapolis Public Library closed Pillsbury Library in 1967. Southeast Library (now Arvonne Fraser Library) opened in Dinkytown in 1967 to replace the Pillsbury Library.
Since the Pillsbury Library closed, the building has housed a variety of businesses. For many years, it was the home of the Dolly Fiterman Gallery. The building is part of the St. Anthony Falls Historic District.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 archival box)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Pillsbury Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1896 to 1988. Pillsbury Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library from 1904 to 1967 when the branch was closed. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008.
Materials were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2019.25. Additional materials transferred from Southeast Library in 2018 as accession 2018.44.
This collection was processed by Grant Wilson, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from September to December 2019.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis Public Library. Pillsbury Library
- Pillsbury, J. S. (John Sargent)
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pillsbury Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- December 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.