Seven Corners Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Seven Corners Library from 1908 to 1966. Nonsense Books written by the library staff include information about the library in short, humorous poems.
- 1908 - 1966
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
Opened in 1905, the Seven Corners Library served the large, immigrant community on the West Bank of the Mississippi River until the library's closure in 1964. The library primarily served the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood and the Bohemian Flats area.
The first Seven Corners Library opened as a reading room in Riverside Chapel, 231 Cedar Ave. S, in 1905. In 1912, the library moved to a permanent building at 300 15th Ave. S. As the flow of new immigrants to the Seven Corners area slowed, use of the library declined. On August 28, 1964, the branch library was closed. The land and building were sold to the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The building was demolished in the 1960s for highway construction.
0.21 Linear feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Seven Corners Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1908 to 1966. Seven Corners Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library until it closed in 1964. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs in March 2021.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Cedar-Riverside Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis Public Library. Seven Corners Library
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Seven Corners Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- March 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.