Social Service Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of the Social Service Branch Library from 1927 to 1959. The correspondence folder contains mainly letters protesting a proposed closure of the library in 1932.
- 1927 - 1959
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
In 1927, the Social Service Branch opened in the Citizens' Aid Building (404 8th St. S) in downtown Minneapolis. The new library and its collection materials were dedicated to serving social workers, public health workers, and other professionals focused on public welfare. Minneapolis Public Library staff ran the library and selected the books, perioidicals and other materials for the collection, but the library space was provided rent-free by the Citizens' Aid Building.
Budget cuts during the Great Depression threatened the closure of the library, but the library continued until 1960. In fall 1960, the collection was moved to the new Minneapolis Central Library.
0.1 Linear feet (3 folders)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of the Social Service Branch Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1927 to 1959. The Social Service Branch Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs in July 2021.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Citizens' Aid Building (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Downtown West Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis Public Library. Social Service Library
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social service -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social service libraries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social Service Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- July 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.